Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I have something to say to Beth Ditto...


I appreciate the effort.



Yes, I have a little bit of an obsession with Ditto, but I feel that it’s for all the wrong reasons. She’s the only truly plus size celebrity actively committed to being true to herself and fat-fashion-fabulous. Far too many times we see plus size celebrities miraculously melt to half their size upon fame and recognition.


I applaud Ditto for having the guts to stay fat. She could easily acquire a trainer and a chef and transform herself to fit Hollywood’s and the fashion industry’s standards. But she won’t do it. And she has the balls to say, If designers don’t want to make clothes that are my size, I’ll make my own!


So, yes. I appreciate the effort. But, unfortunately, I find myself underwhelmed by her collection. I have to say, I’m holding a little bit of my breath waiting for the next installment. I realize everybody’s got to start somewhere. And there are plenty of fatties who would be into the clothes Ditto has out there now. I’m just waiting for her to extend her brand and be a bit more versatile.


Seriously, outside of rock stars and hipsters, who really wants to wear this shit?



The Purple Sequin Dress.
I guess it's OK for those cocktail events where you want to walk around in a shiny, unflattering potato sack. I'm just trying to figure out exactly which plus size physique this is supposed to flatter.



The Poplin Batwing Parka.
Yes, a practical piece. This is clearly intended for neither rock stars nor hipsters. In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if Ditto plagorized this piece from one of the designers for Roaman's Coat Shop. To tell you the truth, you'd probably be better off shopping over there.


The Face Knit Dress.
I have to say, out of these 4 featured items this is my favorite. Not that that's saying much. It's just a little too '80s for my liking. And, I hate to say it but, it kinda gives me a throwback feel to one of those oversize Venezia sweatshirts from back in the day. By now designers should know you can't solve a fat girl's problems with one ginormous shirt; which is basically what this is.


The Blue All-in-One Jumpsuit.
I mean, it's just ugly. I don't know one fat chick who could or should attempt to pull this off. If you are anything beyond a U.S. 14, my advice is that you not go there.

What’s worse that all this is there’s no room for mixing and matching, which is something all designers need in their collections. I can only imagine the innumerable number of events I could attend and find one or more fatties wearing my Face Knit Dress! Ditto’s bold designs definitely make a statement, but throwing in a really good jean wouldn’t hurt, Miss Beth.


These are by far my top worst pieces among the collection. Feel free to check out the less offensive items, available for purchase at Evans.


Also check out this handy International Clothing Size Converter.


Happy shopping!

2 comments:

  1. The Poplin Batwing Parka... looks like that coat from the 90's that your parents would purchased you... I sat here laughing so hard at it. I think you owned one....lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm personally a big fan of fatbritches blog. Thanks for sharing this post.
    clipping path

    ReplyDelete